Instructor: Liz Kettle
Stitching and beading on silk ribbons and fibers lighter than air seems impossible but these ephemeral thread lace embroideries are quite simple to create…but, shush...let’s keep that little bit to ourselves and let everyone think we have special fairy stitching talents.
In this class we will create these magical embroideries with free motion sewing machine stitching and simple hand embroidery stitches. This class is suitable for beginners and up. Basic familiarity with machine stitching required; some hand stitching experience is helpful. Even if you have never done any free motion sewing you can do this.
Material Fee: $5 for specialty stabilizers for your project
Supplies to bring:
For this class you will want to decide in advance what colors you want to play with and choose your supplies based on those colors. You only need small amounts of a variety of the suggested fibers, fabrics and yarns.
- Fibers: silk, wool or acrylic loose fibers or bulky yarn
- Fabrics: you may want some small pieces of silk, linen or cotton fabric to add to your piece.
- Thread: You will want a variety of threads to choose from; cotton, rayon, polyester, metallic, holographic. You do not need all of these different types. Bring threads that will blend as well as contrast with your fibers and fabrics.
- Yarns: A selection of medium and fine yarns, woven yarn tapes, and narrow ribbon in your chosen color palette. You do not need one of each type I listed.
- Needles: Large chenille needle for hand stitching and size 90 embroidery needle for machine work. (available in the Thread Lab)
Location: Textiles West North
Number of hours: 6 hrs
Class Level : Fascination – These classes will introduce you to a new skill, concept or technique and are open to all levels. The student may, however, be required to have a basic skill or have taken a certification class. For example, for a flat-pattern drafting class one need not know anything about flat-pattern drafting but should have a basic understanding of the sewing machine. Any prerequisites will be listed in the class description.
Member Price: $85
bio: I have been intrigued with stitching since I was a child. I have never lost the feeling that something magical happens when you combine fabric and stitch. There are just so many possibilities….will this fabric want to be a bag, a journal cover, or a skirt or become part of a special story in collage? Fabric is such a malleable material. It can be draped, sculpted, textured or smooth. Stitching is so incredibly satisfying….why would anyone not sew?