Animal Portraits with Barb Beasley
April 12, 2019
April 14, 2019
6545 N Academy Blvd, Colorado Springs, CO 80918
MAC Member – $375.00
Member – $375.00
Non-Member – $400.00
Registration is closed
Do you have a favorite photo of your pet you want to turn into a work of art? Award-winning quilter Barbara Yates Beasley can teach you a low-tech pattern design technique that, when combined with raw-edged appliqué, can turn any photograph into a fun and eye-catching quilt. This three day class will have you well on the way to creating your own work of art that you can then finish quilting at home or even leave un-stitched if you prefer.
If pets are not your area of interest bring a photo of a flower or other object. Think Georgia O’Keeffe size flower.
Please be aware that this needs to be your own photo or one that you have been given permission to use. It is NOT OK to grab your favorite photo from the internet. Those photos do belong to an artist and you need to ask permission before using them as inspiration.
This workshop is limited to 10 students to ensure each students gets plenty of private instruction with Barb.
Barbara's web site
for more inspiration!
Before the class, pick a favorite photo of your animal. It should be clear and sharp with a good value range. The animal should fill the frame. If the eyes are an important part of the photo be sure you can actually see them. Keep it simple
Have this enlarged to the size you would like to work with, but no more than 19” x 24”. The enlargement is best in color. You can use a B&W as long as you don’t loose detail in the shadows of the B&W image. Be sure to bring a color copy, any size if your enlargement is B&W. Enlargements can be done at Kinko’s, Staples, Office Max, Walgreens, Costco that type of store. Often you will have better luck getting a clear print if you bring a hi-res file to the store on a thumb drive.
payable to teacher on the first day: $15
• Pre-washed lightweight muslin, enough to use as a base
• Assorted fabric scraps. Bring more then you think you need and in a variety of colors. Nothing over a fat quarter in size.
• Lite Steam-a-Seam 2 fusible. Made by The Warm Company, please no substitutes
• Your photo enlarged to the finished size of your quilt. No less than 11” x 17”. But no larger than 19” x 24”. See Prep Work.
• 8” x 10” color copy of your photo REVERSED.
• Sharp embroidery scissors, paper and/or fabric scissors
• Design board or foam core to use as a design board. This should accommodate the size of your work.
• Tweezers (optional)
Those of you who work quickly or have an image with less detail will want to bring finishing materials.
Bernina 350 machines are available in the Thread lab for use or you may bring your own machine.
. Try our all-in-one platform for easy membership management
Try it FREE